We receive a lot of questions about how young is too young to climb at our facility. While every child is different size and ability wise, our age restrictions are as follow:
- Top rope climbing: ages 5+ (ages 7+ suggested)
- Bouldering: ages 7+
*Scroll down to the bottom of the page for rules and limitations on bringing children climbing.
New to climbing? Wanna try? Here are some options to get you started:
Bouldering is climbing to a maximum of 13 feet without being attached to a rope, after which the climber jumps or falls onto mats on the floor. It is harder than climbing the roped routes and is very popular with our teen and adult members. No experience is required to do this and you won’t have to make a booking. Look at the diagram below to see how bouldering works! Wikipedia also has a great explanation of bouldering.
2) Top Rope Climbing:
Top Rope climbing at Project Climbing Centre requires 2+ people. We can often offer a short lesson on our auto locking belay devices if you are dropping in (based upon staff availability and discretion) or you may choose to book ahead for a more in depth Top Rope Belay course, to learn how to belay (hold the ropes) for your climber.
3) Group Climbing Session:
Book in advance for your small group to enjoy a climbing session! Booking ahead will ensure we have staff to help you throughout your session. The staff will hold the ropes and give tips and encouragement along the way.
*Make sure you meet these requirements for bringing youth and children:
Youth and Children
- Group size is limited to 4 for children under age 14 without a booking (drop-in).
- Please do not organize multiple drop-in groups to climb at the same time.
- A parent supervisor is required for children under 14. This parent must stay with the group and watch them the entire time.
- Bouldering minimum age: 7
- Top rope minimum age: 5 (ages 7+ recommended)